It seems like I can't go an extended period of climb without taking a break from climbing. I never did do the review of my trip to Colorado, and I probably will hopefully do that some day, but since then I've met some new people, made some new goals, and became motivated again, not for the short term like last time, but for the long term.
#tpup
I joined #tpup. Steph Davis and Twitter friends (myself included as one of the first to join up) have started the what has become a climber's Twitter sensation. If you're on Twitter, and follow anyone from highsteph (Steph Davis), paukku (who I believe holds the current high, or should I say "I'm stupid and did to many" score), joshuamontague, calebsimpson, me at LifeAndClimbs, CupcakeMafia, KatieBeth, GoalieMan009, or any other people you see using the #tpup hashtag, add TeamPup to your list to follow, get off your butt, and join the movement. Whether you have a pull up bar, or my preferred hangboard (fingerboard), or even a doorframe as some use, and go over and do a pull up. Then go and send that report of your pullup, with the date, to @TeamPup. Can you do more than one? Send that total for the day. The goal is to do pull ups to get strong for climbing, 2 or 3 times a week (without hurting yourself). If you can't do a pull up, try putting a chair out 2 feet in front of you, and put one leg up for some assistance. Another option I use for forearm workouts is to put a bungee cord draped over the jugs on my hangboard, then two more connected on each side to the ends and then connected to the front of my harness to take equal load off. Either way, its not about quantity, its about quality. No cheating, no thrutching, just try your best.
A shout out to all the other people on #tpup I didn't mention. Sorry if I left you off. I don't love you any less. You all are my new best friends.
Pyramids
A lot of folks do what I prefer, and run pyramids. The concept behind pyramid is to push yourself to your max pullups while training endurance. Start with one. Take a break. If you can, do 2. Take a break. Then 3, and so on, until you don't think you can do that number. Then work your way back down. A 1-4-1 pyramid has you doing 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 for 16 pull ups. Its a great way to train for an extended time while working your muscles for maximum strength.
Try moving from a big hold to a small hold for extra difficulty and a harder forearm workout.
Want an extra challenge to work your forearms? My way of doing this #tpup pyramid (with my maximum 4 right now) is to start on the jugs on my hangboard, then to the big slopers, then to the 2 knuckle depth 3 finger pocket, and finally to the one knuckle depth crimps (open handed of course. Please, do your hangboard crimps open handed. It will prevent injury and gain you more strength, including closed crimp strength. Close crimps should only be used when moving from hold to hold).
Why am I pushing myself again?
The short of it is, this:
I likely won't climb The Mandala (V12) anytime soon, but second to Yosemite's hard V8, Midnight Lightning, The Mandala is probably the second most famous boulder problem in the world (Dreamtime might bump it down to third, but it is well known). From Mountain Project's page about this beautiful problem:
"This world renown problem was first climbed by Chris Sharma in the Spring of 2000, and fittingly, it represents the litmus test for the boulderer of the new millennium. The problem was originally a project tried by many strong climbers of the last decade or so, and it now stands as rite of passage for the new generation of boulderers."
And thats why I want to climb The Mandala. I have it as a background on my phone and have for months, to motivate me to climb hard and be a part of the new age of climbing, to prove to myself that I can push myself to the peak of my mental and physical state. I want to continue to enjoy the community that makes climbing so amazing. I want to continue climbing, pushing myself to climb the grade VFun first and foremost, and maybe some day, I'll reach the top of The Mandala.
Traveling
I continue to realize more and more every time I do it, but I love traveling. But I've made a promise to myself that for every trip I go on, I better be able to enjoy it. For spring break this year, I was invited by Paul Robinson to watch him attempt the FA of Rasta Man Vibration Sit Start (possible V15/V16?) in Bishop, CA. The location of The Mandala. Too soon for me to attempt The Mandala but it may be a moment of climbing history I wouldn't want to miss. I've also considered the Red River Gorge and Horse Pens 40 for Spring Break. Either way, I want to be able to climb V5 solidly, maybe V6, before I go to HP40 or Bishop so I can take full advantage of the trip. I also want to train endurance, in case I might climb routes, but either way, I am going to get strong, and travel, and enjoy every minute of it. VFun. 5.Fun. Those are the grades that are important, but I've learned that traveling to climb is an expensive concept, especially if you don't actually get to climb or send anything. This time, I will do better to enjoy my trip. Success on a boulder or route will be the icing on the cake, and I will continue to use climbing and traveling as a way to further the word:
Climbing is Community. Climb Safe. Climb Hard. A Muerte.
Are you just doing pullups in your pyramid? When I googled it to find out what they were the exercise I found included push ups and sit ups in the mix. Starting with 1 pull up 2 push ups and 3 sit ups and then multiplying each as you go up the pyramid. It was pretty hard, I'm still sore from it three days later.
ReplyDeleteWhether or not you do pullups and sit ups in your pyramid is a matter of personal preference that should take into account a couple other factors. First, its a good idea if you don't often train the muscles that work against the muscles that we often use for climbing, i.e. training triceps to be balanced against biceps. Doing this will actually prevent injury. The second thing to be aware of, though, is how often you're climbing interspersed with this routine. If you plan to climb three times a week, with two #tpup sessions interspersed with two rest days, and you find yourself sore for three days, you won't be in peak condition to climb, let alone, likely a safe condition to climb.
ReplyDeleteFrom my understanding, and what I've always been told, is rest days are necessary for muscle recovery. However, extended periods of muscle inactivity will cause muscle loss as, likely, fat gain. So, you'll find that during rest periods (such as a week after 3 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off, if you have been training intensely or climbing on a trip) its important to climb lightly during that week. In my opinion, if you are sore enough after three days that you have not climbed, or been able to do some level of activity, then maybe you should stick to pullups and intersperse your pushups into your gym training routine if you don't already. Core work won't likely leave you as unable to train or climb as overworking your arms.
Feel free to completely disregard what I've said, however, I'm not a medical professional, just someone who reads a lot about training and everything to do with climbing. I could be well off the mark.