First, I know I promised my manifesto and my life changing experience, and maybe I will take the time to type that out soon, but it might not come for a while, when I am gone and back from Colorado. This is what I'm going to leave you hanging on, and I'm sorry.
As for hanging. I shared that I would be using a hangboard and dieting to try to get in shape for Colorado. Results so far:
Weight loss. Well. I lacked in my starting time. I stayed at my starting weight of 230 pounds (I am 6'7" so don't pick on me. I was still within normal weight range for someone of my height) for some time, losing a pound over night and gaining it back by the next day. These past 5 days, however, I stopped drinking any processed sodas or drinks, drank my 96 oz of water a day, ate smaller (but nourishing) meals, and have been getting out to bike to get ready for the 5000+ altitude change. In the last 5 days, since I started these changes full bore, I've lost 5 pounds. I'm on goal again to be at my ideal weight of 210 sometime during the trip, or in range to get that goal after I get back.
Hangboard training. I've noticed VAST improvements these past two weeks. I've gone from not being able to get myself to do a single pull up (obviously hindering my climbing abilities HOWEVER making me rely on other strengths) to being able to do, get this, 10 pull ups at a time! I also did not have the forearm strength to use anything smaller than a 1 and 1/2 knuckle depth pocket/crimping edge, and that only for a short amount of time. I am happy to say that I just got done doing a 15 second dead hang on a 1 knuckle depth crimp.
I am just ecstatic about these improvements. I went into the gym the other day, for about 15 minutes, and jugged up a V4 before heading out of town. It was a problem on an overhang, very reachy, juggy, powerful, but also required strong footwork. Though these problems are my style, I have to say, the ease with which I did this problem that I had struggled with previously, gives me great hope that within the next year, I may reach my life time goal of v6-v7. Maybe I have to up my goal!
No comments:
Post a Comment