Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hoofer Step in the Right Direction

There had been concerns lately about Hoofers not getting good educations in safety procedures and carrying those poor practices outdoors or in to the gym. A few particular dangerous situations have come up, but I'm not trying to look backward, I'm looking ahead. Being the Vice President of the Hoofer Mountaineering club, I felt at least some responsibility to make sure new club members got educated on how to belay correctly, at the very least, and do so in a safe environment.

So, Boulders Climbing Gym in Madison and Hoofer Mountaineering are teaming up, to make sure that the next year of beginner climbers that comes through the club leaves educated and safe, in at least the basics. As an employee of the gym and member/executive of the club, I'll be working as a liaison to make sure any problems are addressed, as well as facilitating event planning and communication in hopes of creating a better bond and community between the two.

Today is the first step in that direction. I will be taking two Hoofers out to learn how to belay at the gym. One, just informed me that she only climbed once on a wall out in Colorado, and found it exhilarating. The other, I don't know her background. Either way, the best place to start is from the ground up. I'm looking forward to more of this in the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment