Friday, December 19, 2008

Coming Home...

It seems strange that my first post should be about a return to a place I've never mentioned before from a place I've never mentioned before.

My home, is Green Bay, but I reside in Madison.  Breaking Cardinal Rule #1 of the internet, I guess.  Telling so much about myself, but I guess this is a blog about me.

I climb with a group of really cool people in Madison, a rag-tag group of people from my level of experience and ability (minimal and negligible, of which I probably am the poster child) to amazing climbers (shout out to David Nimmer, Angela Limbach, my bro Nick Svoboda, and this amazing guy Kelsen Alexander).  Yeah, Wisconsin isn't the mecca for climbing, but we do have greats like Alex Johnson, on occasion (and even a good blog, ClimbingNarc.com).

My idea for a blog started one night at the climbing gym, Boulders.  With all these great sites up chronicling some of the best climbers of our time (Daila Ojeda, Dani Andrada, Ethan Pringle, Joe Kinder, and Paul Robinson to name just a few), why not chronicle my development, life, and climbs.   The joke was, that a group of us had collectively sent about 15 5.10-5.11 climbs that night, how is that not news worthy?  Why not have a blog that celebrates these tiny, easy, fake milestones and blows them way out of proportion?  

Won't that make the true milestones that much less exciting, you might say?  Who knows, but when my friends and I send our first 5.13's and 5.14's (some have sent 13's, so I have to keep it fair), I will find a way to make it a bigger deal.

Now about coming home.  I don't know if anyone reading this, if there is anyone at all, knows anything about Green Bay.  Its far from legitimate climbing, and as it is winter, its even farther from a gym in my mind.  I realize that I have a month to get to the gym and get better, but ideally I'd do that at a climbing gym.  I can't get to a climbing gym, however, without driving 2 and a half hours or so to Milwaukee.  It is difficult, but my only chance now (barring getting snowed in, which, might be a possibility in the coming hours) is to get to the gym here and lift weights.

That is not to say I am not happy to be home.  I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity to see family, get myself grounded again, see some friends, and have a break.  I just really need to build a woodie in my garage (insert sexual innuendo jokes here).  I just don't have room for one in the garage, so we will have to improvise. Until then...

Today begins the training.

No comments:

Post a Comment