Friday, December 26, 2008

Out in the "Open Air"

By way of www.euroclimbing.com, on Youtube, I present to you the monumental climb of 15 year old Adam Ondra.  Now, I'd like to keep this away from what you would find on 8a.nu, about who is better, Ondra or Sharma, but there is something to be said about the ability of someone of any age, let alone 15, being able to climb 9a+. It is just incredible.

Background about the climb here.  Open Air (9a+) at Schleirerwasserfall in Austria was put up in 1996 by Alex Huber.  Adam Ondra's climb is the second of ascent of a climb that some, like Chris Sharma, thought might have had broken holds.  As Ondra posted on his card at 8a.nu, the climb was "a bit harder than Weisse rose, so 9a+ should be appropriate I hope, when Alex Huber did it, Action Directe considered as 8c+ , then 8a for this one was OK.  Now when AD is 9a, this should be 9a+."  A fantastic climb here.  Take a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment